527 political organizations
Candidate committees
Federal Political Action Committees (PACs)
Independent expenditures
Issue committees
Limited liability companies (LLCs)
Major contributors
Political committees
Political parties
Recall committees
Registered agents
School district candidates
Special district candidates
Small donor committees
Voluntary spending limits

Political Committees

Q1. What is a Political Committee?

A1.  Any person, other than a natural person, or any group of two or more persons, including natural persons that support or oppose the nomination or election of one or more candidates as its major purpose.


Q2. Do we have to register our Political Committee?

A2.  Yes.  Before an entity or a group of people spends $200 or more engaging in political activity that expressly advocates the nomination, election, or defeat of a candidate, they must register a political committee with the appropriate office.

Committees advocating for or against candidates register with our office, with the exception of those related exclusively to municipal elections.


Q3. How do I register a Political Committee with your office?

A3.  You must register a committee online.   

Before registering, make sure that you have:

  • A committee name and any acronyms that you will use.
  • A registered agent.
  • The registered agent's email address and phone number.
  • Physical and mailing addresses for the committee's principal place of business.
  • A description of your committee's purpose.  This information should be detailed, including candidates, ballot measure numbers, or policy positions that you will support or oppose.
  • Financial information, including the name of the bank where the committee has or will have an account.

To register:

  1. Go to the TRACER campaign finance disclosure website.
  2. Click on the "Committee Registration" button.
  3. Select "Political Committee", then click on "Next >".
  4. Fill out the form.  When you are finished, click on "Submit".
  5. Print a copy of the form for your records.
  6. Click on "Finished" to complete your registration.
  7. Login information will be sent to the registered agent's email address.

If you need help using TRACER, see Learn to Use TRACER.


Q4. What is a registered agent?

A4.  A registered agent is the person to whom all correspondence about the committee will be addressed.  He or she is also responsible for maintaining committee records and filing reports on time.  The registered agent must be a natural person.

The registered agent acts as a treasurer, keeping track of all contributions and expenditures.

In addition to the registered agent, the committee may also appoint a designated filing agent to be responsible for the timely filing of Contribution and Expenditure reports.


Q5. Do we have to have a registered agent?

A5.  Yes.  All committees registered with our office must have a registered agent.


Q6. How do we change our registered agent?

A6.  A committee can file an amended registration to change the registered agent. 

A registered agent can also resign. To resign, a registered agent must file a resignation letter with the appropriate filing officer via certified mail.

There must be a registered agent associated with each committee at all times.


Q7. Who can file our reports?

A7.  Only the registered agent may sign and electronically file the committee’s reports.


Q8. Can our group have more than one political committee?

A8.  All political committees organized by the same labor organization, corporation, or other group of persons are treated as a single political committee under Colorado law. The same person or group of persons may not have two or more similar political committees.


Q9. What kinds of contributions can we accept?

A9.  Political Committees can't accept contributions from foreign citizens, foreign corporations, or foreign governments.


Q10. Are there limits to contribution amounts?

A10.  Yes.  Political committees may not accept more than $550 per contributor per House of Representatives election cycle (every two years).


Q11. Do we have to separate contributions made by corporations and labor organizations from contributions made by natural persons?  

A11.  No.  There is no requirement that a political committee segregate contributions received from corporations and labor organizations from those received from natural persons.   

Q12. What do we have to report?

A12.  All contributions received and expenditures made by a political committee must be reported to our office (except for municipal committees, who report to the municipal clerk).

Contributions under $20 may be combined and reported as one lump sum in a reporting period (as "non-itemized" contributions).

For contributions of $20 or more, the name and address of the contributor must be reported.

For contributions of $100 or more, the contributor’s name, address, employer and occupation must be reported.

All contributions from limited liability companies (LLCs) must be itemized. The LLC must provide the candidate or committee with a written affirmation statement that the contribution is permitted by law.


Q13. What  is a Major Contribution Report?

A13.  Contributions of $1,000 or more received within 30 days before a primary or general election must be reported in the TRACER system as a "major contribution" within 24 hours of receipt.  These contributions must also be included in the regular report.  See the major contributor FAQs.


Q14. How do we terminate our political committee?

A14.  With the exception of municipal committees, you must submit a termination report through the TRACER system in order to close a political committee. Municipal committees terminate with the applicable municipal clerk.

The committee must have a zero balance, which means there are no funds on hand and no outstanding debts or other obligations.

The termination report may be filed at any time.  As long as the committee remains open, it must file disclosure reports in every reporting period, inducluding those during which the committee has no activity.

There are no statutory limitations on the use of unexpended campaign funds for political committees; however, keep in mind the definition of a political committee when expending these funds. 


Q15. How long do we keep our records?

A15.  Committees and candidates must keep their records for 180 days following any general election in which the committee or party received contributions.

If a complaint is filed, the records must remain available until the matter is resolved.


Q16. Do we have to set up a bank account specifically for the committee?

A16.  All contributions received by a committee must be deposited in a financial institution in a separate account with a title that includes the committee name.

You can choose which bank you will use for your committee account.  Please consult your bank and IRS regulations concerning account requirements, which may vary depending on the institution.


Q17. What statutes and rules apply to political committees?

A17.  The following provisions apply: